Everybody, Come Together Now!!

Gardening is a great way to make good friends. And a great time to enjoy the outdoors and fresh, warm air in spring.

First though, you need to pick out an appropriate spot. Try choosing a spot that is not too cool, not too hot in the summer heat if you live in the south, and make sure you think it has good soil for your plants. If you want to check the soil, I think the local extension office might be able to guide you. That's where my Mom used to go for assistance with her gardening, storing food, etc ....they can help with several things. If they can't, they should be able to tell you who will. And they used to have a pretty good selection of native plants and flowers for sale in the spring to promote natural growth in the area, and beautify the community as it grew in population.  One of my Mom's most beautiful flowering bushes that was given to her, was her Today, Tomorrow, and Yesterday. It was right out front of their house. She was so proud of it.
I'll never forget when she planted that. I was visiting that day.

There are also Master Gardeners who can help you with any questions you may have. There are most likely more updated products and services that I have yet to catch up on that may help you too. Don't get me wrong, I love gardening, and love my flowers, but there are some people I have heard a lot of wonderful things about, but my Mother never introduced me to them before she passed. 

Anyhow , I'm passing on what stuff I learned in Horticulture Class years ago, and what Mother taught me.So, find a good spot. Once you've decided where you should put things, grab a friend or two. You're sure to have a lot of laughs. While you're in the groove of sharing gardening time, why not ask some new, younger people in to pick their own small spot? Perhaps a new couple at your church would like to grow a few veggies of their own. (This is when you ask yourself; "What would Jesus do to help?") Offer a space. 
Or maybe someone who has no space for planting. Or, maybe someone new in the neighborhood. Or maybe someone who has nobody else to keep company with, and needs a few good friends
This is how you could start a community garden. Gather a few friends as you go, and start helping your own community. Especially if you have your own property. Ask a local church who they think would like to have a spot.

There are so many things you can plant and grow. Before you know it, your garden is bigger than you anticipated. This usually occurs. If that's the case, why not share the love? Besides, you can replant. That's why I love the onions. Always plenty. And they don't get too big to handle.

Enjoy planting!
Here the local Extension Office will be having it's upcoming plant sale in March. Check with the Montgomery County Extension Office in Texas. They're great people!!!

Marcia Boutilier Domer
MRBD 
Author


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plant Sale Is Coming Up Soon!!!

When Your Plant Says: "Gimme some Elbow Room!!!"

The Main Tools You Want For Gardening