How Gladiolas Are You?

I love Gladiolas. They are so beautiful, and full of blossoms, all sorts of colors, and so loyal, as long as you are.
Glads, as I call them are in bulbs. You may purchase them at a feed store, or Dept. Store. They generally seem to enjoy good soil, so be prepared to buy some soil for planting. They love to be cultivated, and watered regular. They take to being pampered, like a baby. They were lots of fun for me to grow. You may enjoy them too.

I would gently turn the soil a few times a week, and found new bulbs, and separate them from the mother one, and plant them beside her. In the winter, I always pruned mine back to about an inch, or a little more, then would trim the elephant ears if needed to get rid of dead leaves, then I would dig my Gladys up , and put the bulbs in the freezer for the winter. Wrapped up in foil of course.Some people probably don't. I did. I can't remember where I heard of that, but that way I figured they hibernated better. Come spring, I'd be out there cultivating the soil, and putting bulbs where I thought they be best suited for the summer heat. 

I had bachelor buttons, and a wildflower mix all along the front of my house. In the summer, it looked nice. Miranda Rose out front, tropical look, hues of blue and purple from the others. It looked nice.The tools needed for bulbs: Spade ,(for digging)
Hand Tiller (for cultivating gently without buying plants)Sometimes you'll find a baby lizard egg, and a lizard about to be born like my son did!!!That was cool. He was thrilled. I watched him let it dry, and go off on a bush. Oh, that was at a rental house. 

Gladiolus are pretty hardy, as long as thereinothing in the way of their roots they'll reward you. I don't know why, but I always had results with every bulb, even the one that sprouted babies. I'd just put them back in the ground later, and up they'd shoot in all their glory. Mine were used as a beautiful setting in front of a row of elephant ears, which gave them a very tall, and lush green backdrop. They really complimented one another.

Gladiolus grow well in partial sulight, and watered about every other day, they seem to do really fantstic. They don't appear to put off a real strong smell, and didn't seem to irritate my allergies much. I guess that's  I fell head over heels crazy about them. Finally, I could enjoy the beauty of a majestic flower, without the worry of irritating allergies. 

Another nice backdrop if you have the extra room, which I did not at the time, is adding bachelor's buttons to the frontmost row. These would add a nice touch. They are beautiful purple-blueish blooms, and are low to the ground. They would set off the gorgeous array of colors when the Gladiolus begin to bloom if you get a nice mix. 

A flower bed should be full of color. It's springtime, and flowers help show the joy of life. So, add splash to your garden, and be creative. I know it sounds crazy, but I would try adding some snow peas to a flower bed with a trellis leaning against a wall for them to hold on to, then put some smaller flowering plants in front to add more color to my garden. Call me crazy, but I'd try it if I had a small yard again. Just for the color results, I'd have to. Blooms on snow peas are very nice. I think they'd gowell with something small,and colorful in front of them .

I hope you have enjoyed reading this article as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

MRBD
2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plant Sale Is Coming Up Soon!!!

When Your Plant Says: "Gimme some Elbow Room!!!"

The Main Tools You Want For Gardening