Mustard

It's a hardy little herb. It  appears that it doesn't grow very large either, never does I've never grown it, but I think I'll give it a try. I only have a room, but it's a small herb anyway. I used to have a yard.  Maybe again, later. Mustard. The herb, and allowing it to go to harvest can be beneficial. 

You can actually make real mustard with the herb, and it's a very simple process as seen by a fantastic Self Sufficient Me video( thanks so much for putting this information out there) put up on their site, as noted below for future reference. They get all the credit for that.

It's really facinating. But that's not the only thing I want to mention in this article today. The subject I'd like to cover is flowers. No, not the ones that you need to pamper, and take a lot of your time, and care, but the pretty little ones that you can basically plant, and forget. Just water a little and walk away. I had some like that. They were so hardy and so colorful. A big sigh of stress came out of me each day, as I drove into the driveway. I loved it. 

Truly, I miss having my outdoor garden time. Marigolds and Forget-Me-Nots, are the real subject of this article today. You're in luck! I'm about early. I may post two articles today. (Since the stroke, I'm a bit slower to feel awake.) Anyway let's start with the Marigolds, shall we? 

It's a very beautiful flower. It makes me think of autumn every time I see it. Some have wonderful aromas, and some do not have much of a scent at all. There are fifty varieties according to several articles researched, and some get taller than others, but I have never met one over 6-8 inches tall yet. They can be planted right at spring after the last frost. They can handle very warm, dry weather. All in all, they're a pretty rugged pal in the garden. I always used them as a border. This way when I got home they were there to be the first thing I saw at the end of a stressful day at work. ( Boy, what a great stress reliever they were to a single mother!!!!)

So, if you need a good stress reliever to greet you before you enter your home, this bugger does the job quite well. Not only that, they make a great Mother's Day cheer up.  When the flowers die, they can be removed at the nearest stem. This should encourage it to flourish even more. And wait!!!! Don't throw that dead flower away!!! Get a small bowl, crumple the flower with your hand. If you look closely if I remember correctly there should be seeds in there. They look almost like straw that's black and beige colored. They can be planted and everything has a seed. Some plants and flowers just conceal it better(keep that in mind.)

The other dainty precious baby I loved, was the petite Forget-Me-Not. In all its Glory. How can one flower be so powerful in it's presence? It's petite in respect to it's dainty flowers, and it's delicate stems. Not to mention the beautiful flowers. I had them scattered along the front of my house. I really enjoyed them. These flowers enjoy partial shade. They don't thrive as well in extremally hot weather. They are used to cooler climates. How could anyone ever forget the Forget-Me-Not???? The little flower which resembles a mouse's ear.

There are a few sites out there which can help when needed in studying this mighty mouse. Although it was adopted by the state of Alaska, it is a magnificent addition to the yard. It has gorgeous blue petals, and enjoys cooler climates, so it thrives fairly well in partial shady areas. Set off against a brick or wood backdrop, and tucked between a few Marigold's I managed to make a splendid background along the edge of my brick house and make it appear much nicer to look at from the outside.

As an added measure I've put sites in which may assist in educating you more about the Marigolds and Forget-Me-Not. 
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not as familiar with the knowledge of flowers,as I am with my veggies, so I just try to sort of guide my readers.
Marigols: How to Plant, Grow,and Care for Marigolds- The Old Famers Almanac
MRBD
2013


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plant Sale Is Coming Up Soon!!!

When Your Plant Says: "Gimme some Elbow Room!!!"

The Main Tools You Want For Gardening