Bok Choy, and Other Not As Common Vegetable Use

Looks can be deceiving sometimes, in people, animals, even plants! That's one of the reasons my Mother always had me try different food at least once, to see if I liked it. You gotta give it a chance. Like people. Let them at least have a chance to try .

Hence comes the Bok Choy, and Leeks challenge for me, and I challenge you to try as well. I was at the produce department of a store the other day, and I thought about trying something different for a change. I had gone only to get some Strawberries, but thought I'd try something different. As I approached the greenery, I stared at the Bok Choy, and Leeks. I wondered how the heck should I eat this new vegetable? I'd never used it. I'd heard many times of how good these are for us. But I never grew any as of yet, and never had the opportunity to eat it yet knowingly, although, I absolutely love Chinese food.

I bought some. A little of both. I ended up making a sort of soup with them both. And I must say, if it were up to me, and I had a yard, I would have a small patch of them. As far as learning several facts about them, I will help as much as I can through my research which I have done, and then I will give you the recipe I threw together to make a delicious, nutritious lunch snack with them today.

Bok Choy grows to a mature height of around twelve- twenty four inches. So about  two feet tall, which makes for a great indoor pal. At about ten inches, Bok Choy is considered baby plants. They may be extra yummy when smaller, I don't know. Haven't tried them that way yet. They can be grown indoors, and they enjoy partial sunlight. So they are good for indoors. You must try not to keep the soil not too soggy, and if using a container, try one which gives a depth of about  twenty inches deep for comfortable growing space. But there is a video which chats of growing in smaller, so that may help to know as well.

Leeks : These are rather tall, but slender, and are from the onion family, and are delicious as well as the Bok Choy is too. These giants grow to about  two- three feet tall, and appear to be a bit spindly, so I would suggest putting a barrier for balance around their stalk. Like maybe bamboo, or even a small wall of some creative, but attractive thing to keep them from tumbling over.They need deep containers, and enjoy the full sun . And yes they as well can be kept indoors. 

Both of these scrumptious vegetables may be grown from table leftovers by using the base of it instead of dicardarding it. Just add some warm water (lukewarm), and some toothpicks for stabilization. Insert a toothpick into edge of base of vegetable on three sides for balance, fill cup with water, so it submerges the base of veggie only, and wait few days. When it has grown some roots, plant in soil with good drainage.  

There are some helpful sites for anybody like me just understanding these veggies. I had a wonderful time researching, and learning about this new and different veggie although it's been introduced to this country for a while. It was certainly an interesting learning experience. 

I hope you really enjoyed this article as much as I enjoyed researching about this veggie. It was pretty cool to learn that THERE IS a vegetable which comes about in a matter of days. I found through my research that the Bok Choy can sprout within  four to seven days. Wow!!!

As promised, here is another delicious afternoon snack, which I whipped up while taking a break from writing. 

Bok Choy and Leeks with Water Chestnuts
Chop the  Bok Choy after thoroughly rinsing, into 1/2-1 inch sections and stuff them with Water Chestnuts slices( try to leave bok choy rolled up in sections), add juice from container of peaches, or fruit of your choice. Add about 1 teaspoon of peanut sauce, chop leeks into 1/2- 1 inch sections, sprinkle over bottom of bowl. Add about 4, or 5 grape tomatoes, add pinch of sugar (if needed), add about 1/8 c of brewed coffee to mellow spicy. Spoon liquid over everything carefully to help veggies soak up flavor. Microwave about 2 minutes. Let cool. Delicious treat!!! Just a itty, bit sweet. Just right, and has a delicious flavor!!

lifehacker.com
bonnieplants.com

Have a great day!!!!

MRBD
2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plant Sale Is Coming Up Soon!!!

When Your Plant Says: "Gimme some Elbow Room!!!"

The Main Tools You Want For Gardening