Climb you Great Little Fellas, Climb!!!

Climbing vegetables!! They can be fantastic, but they make you think, especially when you have very limited space. But, that's not to say this isn't a project that can be done. There are about seventeen plants all together which vine. Although not all are commonly grown here in America.

All in all there are about twelve which are common here. You have to take into consideration some of the possible requirements of vining veggies, especially if you are planting in a container in a small space. There are several things to ask yourself. Do I need a very deep container for this? Is it a Twiner, Tendril, or Scrambler?

If it a Big Boy Tomato, and you go out to your garden one morning, find it laying on the ground, and it's crawling off with new nodules, taking root along the ground, as it scatters to find a place to hide from neighboring party plants, then you can take a deep breath. He's probably a Scrambler vine-type.

Tendrils are like my comical Peas. They have-fingers that reach out and latch on to wood, string, and bamboo.Twiners-they aren't picky. Give them a wheel barrel, they'll make it look pretty. 

Roots-Some of these veggies grow long roots. So it's best to have something to put them into which has room . I know Cucumbers have long roots, sometimes thirty six inches long, or more, so it's best to keep at least a five gallon bucket handy just in case it's needed. I have two. One for my one, for Sweet Potatoes, which I plan on growing a little later. The other for emergencies are larger growth than expected.

Some vine in certain directions. Like the Cucumber. They can be grown in an upward position, but be sure to have ample support if you plan to allow your veggies to mature to about six inches or more in length. 

There are some of your vegetables which vine that you'll want to cage for protection against the larger pests that rummage at night. Your Coons, and Opossums. They love some of these veggies. I used to set some left-overs away from my garden to distract. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. A thicker gave wire works best when caging. And smaller openings. 

If it's really warm, you want to make sure your plants have something to cool things off a bit. I usually check on them a couple times a day, and if it's over ninety, I'll take a half styrofoam cups which is cut in half with the bottom removed, make a funnel, stick it in the ground near the roots, and give each plant a cool drink. At least that way, they don't roast and the roots only are getting a drink. I water later when it's cool on hot, hot days. 

I hope you enjoyed this article. I know I did. I found out why my Pea was bending. Put some string around a metal pole for it to grasp. Haha!



Note: The video on the Vaseline trick may help those who already are growing, and have pests. Small pests.
MRBD
2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plant Sale Is Coming Up Soon!!!

When Your Plant Says: "Gimme some Elbow Room!!!"

The Main Tools You Want For Gardening