Growing in Planters

Growing in planters can be very tricky some times. Especially if you did not mark cups. Making sure you have the right planter for your vegetable is very important otherwise it could get root rot (wet feet), or be shoved a bit too deep from you trying to dry out the soil, like I did with mine. Gardening in a limited space, and in planters has been a big challenge for me. So right now I'm trying something I've never had to do before. But it's good for my stroke recovery. I'm finding a little more to do.

I need a few fresh ideas on how to keep this compact and out of the way so the landlady doesn't get upset. But I'd like to be able to share the harvest with those in the surroundings too. Roommates and so forth. 

From my findings Cucumbers can have rather long roots. Up to 36 inch roots. And looking again, I'll have to get a container at least 12 in. diameter, and 8 deep. I think I have one already. I'll have to try to find something deep enough for Sweet Potatoes because I'd like to have a few of those too to share at the table. I think everyone would enjoy that. It's be nice to share a veggie dinner on Sunday evenings. But I think it's kind of difficult to get everyone together around here.

I think the potatoes may be a little easier to get going. And they won't take up space with vines. Onions are a great choice because they grow, and grow. Plus, they take up no space at all. Already got those going. I was about to give up, and Boom! There popped up what appears to be a Cucumber. I'm not too surprised I had transferred everything because they were getting too much water inside, and without much light in here, they were not doing anything. We'll, again you learn from New experiences. Don't give up if they get soaked , or re planted because you turn the soil to dry things up. Give ample time to dry, and wiggle through all the soil. May just be down there further than expected. So I learned something since a long time ago.(I warned you I hadn't grown in several years). I blame the stroke(Even though mild, thank God), for my absent minded part though. I've forgotten some things take more time than others. Patience seems to be harder for me now. When my son was little, I had so much patience. I don't understand.I think patience with kids and patience with growth of plants is very different for me. I'm very anxious to harvest. Hungry just thinking about fresh food.

Anyway, back to vegetables. Another good one may be the bell pepper. That is not too, too big, and is bushy.  And may fit right in around here. I hope nobody gets upset. I'm going to start a little porch garden. It should turn out okay, and I figured everyone here will benefit.

If you are extremely limited on your space, just try to use what you can. I'm making due with very little space, and you can too. One of my best planters for my Peas has been only$1 I got it from the Dollar general. It is a material container like to hold miscellaneous items, and it worked out fantastic. I added a few small stones I got there also for good drainage, just in case. I piled up potting soil around the Peas like I would if they were in the yard, and they are growing like crazy. Even though they're new seeds, for some strange reason one always wants to bend in the same location, and hang on for dear life. Weird, just one. Every time. Funny character. But they are growing better than ever.

As always, I really appreciate you taking the time to read my articles. Your devotion to this blog is greatly appreciated, and as I said before, I am not a today's expert gardener, and not used to growing in cramped spaces. I am used to doing this outdoors. Thank you for your understanding and patience. If anyone has some new ideas, please let me know somehow. Thank you, stay safe, and enjoy this day, and appreciate those you care about. Nothing in this world lasts forever, enjoy now.Have a great day and enjoy gardening!!

thesruce.com- Growing Cucumber in Containers

Please note: There was a typing error on one of the sites. It is thespruce.com-sorry.

Harvesting, Pickling and Fermenting a Lot of Cucumbers in a Crock- Self Sufficient Me- youtube




MRBD
2013




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plant Sale Is Coming Up Soon!!!

When Your Plant Says: "Gimme some Elbow Room!!!"

The Main Tools You Want For Gardening